Thursday, July 1, 2010

Eco-Panels shipment arrives



Since I was having a lot of problems with my previous blog site, I decided to start a new blog and that is why it may appear that this prototype is being built extremely fast. No, this in not Extreme Makeover Home Edition, but we are very close to being on schedule for a 60 day build completion time frame.

Eco-Panels arrived as scheduled to the job site. As a disclaimer, I am the Regional Project Manager for Eco-Panels. My first experience with Eco-Panels was over 3 years ago at a local WNC Green Building Counsel function. The very first thing I noticed was the patented fully insulated corners--really cool. Then I noticed the internal cam-locking system and integrated electrical boxes and conduit. Once I was able to confirm that Eco-Panels use an injected, high density polyurethane foam, you could say that I was immediately very impressed with Eco-Panels. Most (about 95%) SIPS (structural insulated panels) are basically board stock EPS that are glued and pressed to OSB and use splines or studs to connect the panels. The obvious difference in quality, performance, options and integration between Eco-Panels and other SIP products was striking.

Prior to joining Eco-Panels, I performed certifications locally for the Energy Star and NC Healthy Built Homes programs. I had researched alternative building systems for years, but in every system I was able to find a flaw or weakness that I issues with. After spending several months learning more about Eco-Panels and taking a day off work to help erect walls panels on a job site, it was clear that I wanted to be a part of such an innovative company with the best overall solution for combining structural and thermal performance in the most integrated, user friendly and cost effective way I have ever come across.

I had scheduled a crane and operator to be at the job site to help unload the panels and this saved us a lot of time and hard labor. The first floor walls were bundled seperately from the 2nd floor walls and I was able to use the crane to transfer the 1st floor wall panels directly on to the subfloor and strategically arrange the 2nd floor wall panels on the site to be lifted up to the 2nd floor when needed. I made sure to have extra tarps on site to protect the panels from the weather even though we would be erecting the 2nd floor walls just 1 1/2 days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment