Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Last Two Energy Bills Comparison


My mid-January to mid-February utility bill was so far the highest to date at $79.01. I wasn't surprised that it was $6 higher than my previous months bill as I was out of town for the Christmas holiday reducing my energy demand for 5 days. $79 was still about a 62% reduction in energy use compared to a code based modeled home.

Today I received my mid-February to mid-March utility bill and WOW what a difference 12 degrees makes. What I mean by 12 degrees, is that the average daily temperature has been about 12 degrees warmer over the past month significantly reducing the amount of time my heat pump is running on auxillary or strip heat. It still gets into the 30's every night with several frosts and even some snow showers on a few occasions, but considering my heat pump is set to go to auxillary heat below 35 degrees, it wasn't using strip heat nearly as much. This months total utility bill was $45.73. That's a savings of around 74% compared to a code based home. 74% reduction in total energy costs is significant considering this prototype home has no other alternative source to produce energy--just an air-to-air heat pump with an ERV. This reduction has to do with many factors that have been discussed in other posts, but it just reinforces how satisfied I am that I chose to use Eco-Panels as my wall system. My next post will talk about the economics of energy savings!

No comments:

Post a Comment